Word is starting to come out about the completion of the Riu Cancun renovations. The resort was reportedly re-opened as of Aug. 2, 2014, having had a $30 million makeover. Here is a list of the renovations:
- The renovation has affected all rooms, restaurants, pool areas, gardens, lobby, and resort façade (in other words, it was a “gut job”).
- Contemporary metal and glass entrance
- New lobby
- Bathrooms of non-suites now have a large shower instead of a tub/shower combo. Suites also have a whirlpool tub.
- Rooms now have digital safes, 40-inch flat screen TV’s, and WiFi.
- Four bars have been remodeled including the swim-up bar.
- There are four pools with all new designs including one new infinity pool.
- Main restaurant Miramar has been renovated along with the pool restaurant which is now divided into two sections (one which is enclosed with A/C and heat, and an outdoor terrace which offers an evening steakhouse).
- Addition of a new Italian restaurant, La Toscana.
There are pics starting to come in as well, check out the one on Twitter by Travelbybob: https://twitter.com/travelbybob/status/493182845406691328/photo/1. Also, check out the new Riu Cancun resort reviews on TripAdvisor.com and look under the Traveler Photos to see the new additions and changes. It’s been a while in coming, but the changes initially look awesome.
Check out a video just posted a few days ago about the new renovations.