Located north of Puerto Morelos, Azul Sensatori Mexico by Karisma is an oceanfront resort that attempts to offer an all-inclusive vacation experience for almost everyone. Couples, families, honeymooners, wedding parties, and “foodies” of all ages will find sections of the resort perfect for their needs. Families have a rock climbing wall, children’s pool with splash park, and tennis courts on the northern side of the resort, while adults can vacation away from children by booking the adults-only section with its own pool and swim-up bar. Azul Sensatori Mexico is also home to Le Chique, an award winning adults-only restaurant which serves Modernist Cuisine, while all guests are privy to Karisma’s famous gourmet inclusive menus.
This resort offers contemporary styling done with a hint of Asian flair–sliding doors, dark hardwoods, canopied beds, marble floors, and suites with in-room Jacuzzis all come together to create a sophisticated yet relaxed guest room ambiance.
The lobby echoes the modern feel of the resort with its tall white vases, abstract artwork, and unique ceiling light fixtures reminiscent of upside-down parasols. While many interior spaces have a modern vibe, the grounds are traditionally tropical with palm trees, bougainvillea, hedges, topiary designs with contrasting flora, and many paths which make traversing the resort quite easy. It is obvious there is attention to detail at every turn.
Exiting the lobby, guests will have a panoramic view of a good portion of the resort including the Family Section guest room buildings and pool on the left, the Azul guest room building on the right (noted for housing wedding parties and honeymooners with its honeymoon suites with large wrap-around balconies), parts of the upgraded Premium Section guest room building on the far right (Premium swim-up rooms have heated Jacuzzis within the swim-up pool), and the sea which is straight ahead. Since the adults-only section is directly to the right of the lobby, it is difficult to get a good bird’s eye view of this area from the stairs. The resort feels compact despite its 435 guest room capacity, but this can be an advantage when bringing small children.
Azul Sensatori Mexico is a great resort choice for families in general since it offers very good programs and facilities for both children and teens. Baby equipment and toys are provided so that parents don’t have to tote their own child-related belongings from home, while the well-equipped Azulitos Playhouse and My Gym programs (for ages 4-12) offer such diverse classes as kids yoga, themed play groups, sing-alongs, story time, arts and crafts, mini-theater performances, and mommy-and-baby mornings (children up to age four may visit the children’s facilities but must be supervised by an adult family member). Children also have the opportunity to meet such Nickelodeon characters as SpongeBob Squarepants, Dora the Explorer, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, while character dining/birthday parties can also be arranged. Even the spa is kid-friendly where children as young as five can receive various types of massages and facials. Teens have their own über-cool hangout where they can play video games, watch movies, dance, play pool or air hockey, or have a drink and a snack. The teen club at Azul Sensatori Mexico is one of the better teen clubs in the Riviera Maya in regards to the activities offered as well as the trendy welcoming space in which teens meet.
Although this particular Karisma resort has quite a few excellent amenities and features to attract vacationers, beach lovers may be somewhat disappointed. The white powdery sand is there, but a fair amount of sea grass is there as well and is collected twice daily. Coral pieces and small rocks also make ocean entry a bit uneven, so be sure to bring water shoes. Loungers, shade umbrellas, palapas, and Bali beds adorn the beach along with picnic tables by the pier for the daily BBQ. Bali beds are first-come first-served with most gone by 7 a.m.
Guests of Azul Sensatori Mexico should be aware that quite a few weddings and receptions take place at this resort, and, as a result, guests need to be comfortable with the exuberance which often accompanies such celebrations, large groups taking up space at restaurants and other resort venues, and late night noise.
Type of Resort: Family-friendly with adults-only section
Pro: Family of five friendly, adults-only section, teen club, kid-friendly spa, free WiFi
Con: Ocean swimming, fixed balcony seating
Best Suited For: Couples, families with kids of all ages, destination weddings
No. of Rooms: 435
Room Amenities: King bed, two queen beds or one queen bed plus a sofa bed, balcony/terrace, A/C, in-suite Jacuzzi, mini-bar, non-digital safe, flat screen TV, coffee maker, radio alarm clock with iPod dock, DVD player, telephone, iron/ironing board, robes, umbrella, hair dryer, dbl sinks, rainforest showerhead, 24-hr. room service and complimentary WiFi. International calls are also complimentary. Here is a brief breakdown of guest room categories:
- Luxury Jacuzzi Suite: King or two queen beds, located in Azul section. Garden or pool view.
- Luxury Jacuzzi Ocean View Suite: King or two queen beds, located in Azul or Family sections.
- Luxury Jacuzzi Walk-Out Suite: King or two queen beds, located in Azul or Family sections.
- Family Jacuzzi Suite: Separate bedroom area with queen bed, Jacuzzi tub, and flat screen TV, living room with sectional sofa beds and flat screen TV, located in Family section. Garden or pool view.
- Family Jacuzzi Ocean View Suite: Same as the Family Jacuzzi Suite only with an ocean view.
- Honeymoon Oceanfront Jacuzzi Suite: King or two queen beds, oversized wrap-around balcony with two full loungers and table and chairs, sitting room with sofa, table and two chairs. This room category also includes private check-in, welcome bottle of champagne and fruit basket, pillow and aromatherapy menus, personal concierge, DVD use, beach and pool butler service, located in Azul and Family sections. Oceanfront.
- Connecting Luxury Jacuzzi Ocean View Suite: Two connecting suites, one with a king bed and sofa bed, the other with two queen beds, located in Family section. Ocean view.
- Jacuzzi Jr. Suite: King bed. Garden, pool, or ocean view.
- Jacuzzi Swim-Up Jr. Suite: King bed, access to swim-up pool off the terrace with in-pool lounger. Garden and pool view.
- private pool
- private concierge for Premium guests
- welcome bottle of champagne and basket of fruit
- pillow and aromatherapy menus
- special beach section
- pool and beach butlers
- upgraded room service menu
- free use of DVD library
- Premium Jacuzzi Suite: King or two queen beds. Pool and ocean view.
- Premium Jacuzzi Swim-Up Suite: King or two queen beds, access to swim-up pool and private heated Jacuzzi off the terrace, in-pool lounger. Pool and partial ocean view.
- Royal Suite: King or two queen beds, sofas, liquor dispenser, microwave, art deco interior. Pool and ocean view.
- Royal Swim-Up Suite: King or two queen beds, access to swim-up pool and private heated Jacuzzi off the terrace, in-pool lounger, sofas, liquor dispenser, microwave, art deco interior. Pool and ocean view.
- Presidential Studio: King bed, sofa bed, large balcony, liquor dispenser, upgraded toiletries, butler service. Oceanfront.
(Connoisseur Collection): Azul Sensatori Mexico also offers an upgraded room category service for guests to enjoy called the Connoisseur Collection. Amenities include the following:
- pre-arrival arrangements for in-room liquor choices, mini-bar preferences, spa/restaurant/excursion reservations
- airport transfers
- assigned concierge/”Majordomo”
- in-suite check-in
- resort tour
- unpacking/packing done by the Majordomo
- personal cell phone for direct calls to the Majordomo
- in-room bottle of champagne, fruit basket, premium coffee and teas
- espresso machine
- Smart TV
- guaranteed connecting rooms
- some in-room spa treatments are possible
- 15% off spa services, special events, and premium wines
Connoisseur room categories include the following:
- One and Two Bedroom Presidential Suites: Master bedroom suite with king bed, in-room Jacuzzi tub, flat screen TV, table and two chairs, (the two bedroom suite has an additional room with two queen beds, flat screen TV, and in-room Jacuzzi tub), private balcony off the bedroom, separate living room with sectional sofa, coffee table, small table and two chairs, large balcony off the living room with table and six chairs, two full loungers, and two fixed sitting areas, dining table and six chairs, breakfast bar, kitchen (a private chef can prepare dinner in-suite), in-room liquors and wines, digital safe, reserved beach or pool Bali bed, newspaper. These suites are located on the 4th floor of the Premium section with an ocean and pool view.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Available
Resort Amenities: Four pools (three with swim-up bar and a separate children’s pool), splash park, spa (child-friendly), beauty salon, fitness center, tennis courts, rock climbing wall, shuffleboard, giant checkers/chess, non-motorized water sports, pool and beach wait service, hammocks, Bali beds, Starbucks kiosk, Azulitos Playhouse (ages 4-12), My Gym (ages 4-12), Nickelodeon experience, Teen Club (ages 13-17), baby equipment use, Gerber baby food, playground, shuttle to Cancun and Playa del Carmen several times a week, concierge, tour desk, gift shop, jewelry store, car rental, medical services, ATM.
Restaurants/Bars: Karisma’s Gourmet Inclusive concept takes an interesting turn with the addition of Le Chique, a AAA Five Diamond award winning gourmet restaurant for adults-only (this dining experience is an extra charge and requires reservations). Other a la carte offerings include Italian (Siena), Caribbean (Zavaz), Mexican (Zocalo), Spanish (Tapaz), and international cuisine (Spoons). Additional lunch options include The Gourmet Burger Bar at Zavaz restaurant, the pizza place at the Family section, and the beach BBQ by the pier. There are three swim-up bars, a poolside bar, beachfront bar, and the Mojito bar.
Entertainment: While teens have their own space for entertainment, the Mojito Lounge and adults-only pool area also offers DJ music.