NOTE: The name of this resort changed in 2016; it used to be called Barceló Tucancun Beach.
Families, couples, and singles looking for a budget-friendly all-inclusive resort with a good beach will find the Occidental Tucancun perfect for their vacation needs. Formerly known as Barceló Tucancun Beach, the Occidental Tucancun is located approximately 20-min. north of the airport behind Plaza Kukulcan shopping mall, and within a 10-min. walk of La Isla, the other major shopping mall in the area. The resort generally gets a good mix of clientele when it comes to age range; however, this resort is also a popular spring break destination for college-age students.
Occidental Tucancun boasts 650 feet of reclaimed beach area–the resorts along this part of the “7” in the Hotel Zone pumped lots of sand from the ocean floor to build up their beaches due to hurricane-related erosion. As a result, the beach here is beautiful and wide with white powdery sand while the Caribbean Sea has multiple shades of blue. As is typical with beaches along this stretch of the Hotel Zone, surf can be rough some days with a heavy undertow, so visitors should use caution and heed the surf condition flags posted along the beach. While there are no beach umbrellas or palapas for shade, the resort has planted more palm trees but it will be years before they are able to keep guests out of the sun.
Several steps up from the beach is the first of three pools, all with a bar area and ocean view. All pools are on a different level so guests will have to climb some steps in order to move from one to another. The main pool has built-in tiled loungers and a small, shallow section for young children. Moving north to a higher level is the infinity family pool with its upper and lower sections joined by a waterfall, while moving further north and down a level is the adults-only pool with the resort’s only swim-up bar. Although all pool areas have loungers, the main pool seems to have more than its share of them, while the adults-only pool offers shade palapas. All pools are on the small side which makes for close quarters, particularly during peak travel season.
There are four main guest room building sections consisting of the North, Central, and South Towers in addition to beachfront villas. Most rooms with balcony space are in either the North and South Towers or the beachfront villas, while rooms in the Central Tower for the most part do not have balconies. Beachfront villas, located at the south end of the resort, can accommodate families of five or six per villa and come complete with kitchenette facilities. Most guest rooms are basic with walnut furniture and a tiled floor, and most bathrooms are shower-only. Guests have the option of upgrading to Premium Level for certain guest room categories; upgraded amenities include better room location, private check-in/out, a private lounge with its own bar and snack area, free WiFi for two devices p/room, and priority booking at a la carte restaurants.
Children are well taken care of at the Barcy Club which accommodates children ages 4-11. The Barcy Club interior space is designed for younger children, but older children and teens will appreciate the games room located by the lobby area (some of these games, however, have an additional cost).
While public areas at Occidental Tucancun have already been renovated (lobby and lobby bar, four restaurants, fitness center, and the Kid’s Club), the resort still has to fully renovate all guest rooms. As a result, guests may experience room quality to be below that of the rest of the resort. Until that renovation is complete, those contemplating staying at the Occidental Tucancun may want to consider booking an oceanfront room or beachfront villa since these categories offer more than just a place to sleep.
Type of Resort: Family-friendly
Pro: Beach, oceanfront suites, walking distance to malls, budget-friendly
Con: Not all rooms have balconies, small pools, WiFi and room service are an extra charge, no beach shade
Best Suited For: Families, couples, and singles of all ages looking for vacation value.
No. of Rooms: 336
Room Amenities: King or two dbl beds, A/C, mini-bar, digital safe, flat screen TV, bureau, armchair, desk and chair, telephone, alarm clock, coffee maker, iron/ironing board, hair dryer, shower, and toiletries. Room service and WiFi is an extra charge for non-Premium Level upgraded guests. Here is a brief rundown of guest room categories:
(Non-Premium Level Rooms)
- Double Room: King or two dbl beds. Balcony/terrace in some rooms in this category. Lower floors have a view of the back of Plaza Kukulcan across the street, while upper floors have a view of Nichupté Lagoon.
- Double Oceanfront: King or two dbl beds. No balcony. Ocean view.
(Premium Level Upgrade Amenities)
- private check-in/out
- private lounge with bar, continental breakfast, hors d’oeuvres, computer use, free newspaper
- personalized concierge
- priority a la carte restaurant reservations
- complimentary room service
- welcome gift of chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of sparkling wine
- turndown service
- free local calls
- complimentary WiFi–two codes p/room, one code p/person
- discounts on spa and beauty salon services
- discount on laundry service
- robe and slippers
- in-room pool towels provided
(Premium Level Room Categories)
- Premium Level Dbl Sea View: King or two dbl beds, balcony/terrace. Ocean view.
- Premium Level Family Sea View: Two separate bedrooms (king bed, two dbl beds), living room with sofa, two armchairs, coffee table, flat screen TV, adjacent dining area with table and four chairs, kitchen with refrigerator, stovetop, microwave, balcony/terrace, two full bathrooms, three flat screen TV’s. Ocean view.
- Premium Level Sea View Suite: Separate bedroom with king bed, flat screen TV, armchair, bureau, table and two chairs, living room area with sofa, armchairs, coffee table, flat screen TV, dining area with table and four chairs, breakfast bar with two chairs, kitchenette with stovetop, microwave, sink, full size refrigerator, ceiling fan, wraparound balcony. Ocean view.
- Premium Level Sea View Master Suite: Two separate bedrooms (king bed, two dbl beds), living room area with sofas and armchairs, coffee table, flat screen TV, kitchen area with table and six chairs, breakfast bar with two chairs, microwave, dbl sink, full refrigerator, balcony/terrace, two full bathrooms. Ocean view.
- NOTE: Barceló used to have a policy of charging USD $200 cash damage deposit for those 24 yrs. and under since this is a spring break resort. Spring breakers should check in advance to see if the policy is still in effect. Also, until room renovations are done, guests should avoid booking ground floor Double Rooms.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Available
Resort Amenities: Three pools (main/activities, family infinity, adults-only with swim-up bar), spa, poolside massage hut, beauty salon, motorized and non-motorized water sports at nearby Aquaworld (transportation not included), tennis court with basketball hoops, hammocks, pool and beach wait service, theater, Kid’s Club (ages 4-11), small playground, computer room/library, concierge, gift shop, photo shop, tour desk, car rental, and ATM.
Restaurants/Bars: Two buffets (Mallorca and La Claraboya) and two a la cartes–Mexican (Mexico Lindo) and Italian (La Trattoria). The a la cartes require advance reservations. There is a small snack bar which offers food and drinks 24-hrs. a day. There are five bars including a swim-up bar, lobby bar, two pool bars, and the theater bar.
Entertainment: There is a separate games room, while nightly shows are held in the theater. For an additional cost the hotel offers VIP party packages–staff escorts guests to all the popular nightclubs which includes bottle service and no long lines to get in.