The Beloved Playa Mujeres, formerly known as The Beloved Hotel, is a beachfront, all-suite boutique resort located along a two mile stretch of beach within a private gated community containing several other resorts, a marina, and a Greg Norman designed golf course. Beloved Playa Mujeres is owned by the Excellence Group and originally was their first venture into family-friendly resorts; it became adults-only in 2016 which appears to be a much better fit for this rather quiet, elegant hotel. The Beloved continues the Excellence standard of amenities and service with its 35,000 sq. foot spa complete with treatment rooms for disabled guests and luxury rooftop spa suites, spacious guest suites, poolside dbl loungers and cabana beds, and an in-room Jacuzzi in all suites. Beloved Playa Mujeres is also the recipient of the AAA Four Diamond Award, and has won several guest awards from TripAdvisor and Expedia. This property, like all Excellence resorts, has a great layout which gives guests the perception of seclusion and privacy even when the resort is at full capacity.
One of the first observations people typically have about Beloved Playa Mujeres is its use of the color white–from building exteriors to upholstery, furniture, sheer panels, and landscaping touches, white and crème hues are everywhere. With the use of light tones along with contemporary styling and architecture, a feeling of peace and tranquility surrounds guests wherever they may go on the property. The resort’s landscaping of white sand integrated with indigenous flora and vegetation makes the buildings seem a natural part of the environment which helps to provide a seamless resort experience. Vacationers looking for total relaxation in a classy setting will definitely find it at Beloved Playa Mujeres.
There are three pools at the resort including two “quiet’ pools which have their own heated Jacuzzi, along with a beachfront pool with heated Jacuzzi and swim-up bar. The bar is located under the terrace of Isla Grill, an open-air restaurant which serves breakfast along with grilled and Caribbean specialties for lunch and dinner. The beachfront pool has a lively ambiance during the day without being overwhelming or too loud for other guests. Sundecks include daybeds and loungers with shade palapas and umbrellas; while prime lounger and daybed locations are gone by 10 a.m., the “reservation” of loungers is not as intense at this resort as at others.
The beach at Beloved Playa Mujeres is composed of soft white sand with an easy ocean entry; the ocean water color is not as turquoise as Cancun’s Hotel Zone, but it is swimmable and water sport-friendly. The Beloved offers paddle boards, snorkeling equipment, hobie cats, and kayaks, while parasailing and Jet Skis are available north along the beach between the resorts of Excellence Playa Mujeres and Finest Playa Mujeres. There are padded loungers, daybeds, and shade palapas for all guests, while private lounge areas are designated for those who are willing to pay extra for their beach experience. Beach and pool wait service is available for everyone, and food can be ordered and brought to one’s lounger.
Beloved Playa Mujeres offers four restaurants and four bars–no reservations are necessary with little wait time involved. Lobster is offered at no additional cost, while guests can begin and end their day with an ocean view. Waffles and crepes can be found at Natura Bar while sushi and ceviche is available at Lupita Lounge. Top-shelf liquor is served at all bars while evening entertainment occurs at an outdoor venue near the lobby which hosts live music, karaoke, and a casino night.
When retiring to one’s suite, vacationers will love the extra space (guest rooms start at 960 sq. feet), separate sitting area with sofa, in-room Jacuzzi tub, and large shower with extra amenities like rainforest showerhead, hand-held nozzle, bench, and body jets. Like the rest of the resort, white/crème is the primary color scheme–even the furniture is white. Pops of color are provided by pillows, wall paintings, flowers, and the large black flat screen TV included in every suite. Nine room categories provide plenty of variety for a boutique resort with less than 110 rooms; guests will enjoy the Jr. Suite with pool or sea views, Swim-Ups with their private garden wall, and beachfront Casitas with their own ground floor or second story plunge pools.
It is important for potential guests to remember that while Beloved Playa Mujeres is a small, quiet hotel which caters primarily to affluent couples and newlyweds, it also is a popular destination wedding venue, so expect some larger parties to be present from time to time in restaurants and pool areas. Since the resort is located north of downtown Cancun, it is a distance to the clubs and restaurants of Plaza Forum or shopping malls along the Hotel Zone; guests who don’t wish to venture out for the evening will have to be content with onsite entertainment.
Type of Resort: This resort became adults-only Sept. 2016
Pro: Boutique resort, large suites, spa rooms for disabled guests, complimentary WiFi, size of shower
Con: Lack of bathroom privacy, isolated location, mosquitoes at sundown
Best Suited For: Affluent couples ages 40-65, couples celebrating a special occasion such as a honeymoon or anniversary, wedding destination venue
No. of Rooms: 109 suites
Room Amenities: King or two dbl beds, A/C, balcony or terrace with daybed and breakfast table and chairs, in-room Jacuzzi tub with indoor/outdoor access, ceiling fan, desk and chair, small sofa bed, digital safe, mini-bar, in-room liquor and wine bottles, in-room snacks, flat screen TV, room service box, walk-in closet, two telephones, radio alarm clock with iPod dock, coffee maker, Nespresso machine, robe and slippers, iron/ironing board, umbrella, pillow menu, hair dryer, dbl vessel sinks, rainforest showerhead, shower body jets, Bvlgari toiletries, complimentary WiFi, 24-hr. room service, laundry service (one outfit p/person p/stay), free calls to USA and Canada, and one complimentary hydrotherapy circuit p/guest p/stay. Here is a brief rundown of guest suite categories:
- Jr. Suite: King or two dbl beds, bar area. Resort, pool, or partial ocean view.
- Jr. Suite Ocean View: King or two dbl beds, bar area. Ocean view.
- Swim-Up Suite with Private Garden: King or two dbl beds, bar area, two full loungers. There is no direct access to the pool off of the terrace. Instead, access to the pool is a short distance from the terrace via stone steps.
- Terrace Suite with Plunge Pool: These ground floor suites offer a king bed, private plunge pool off the terrace, bar area. Garden view. NOTE: Plunge pool and terrace may have limited privacy.
- Terrace Suite with Plunge Pool and Ocean View: These suites are on an upper floor with a king bed, bar area, balcony with private pool, two daybeds, and a table and two chairs. Ocean view.
- Casita Suite with Private Pool: These beachfront ground floor suites offer a king bed, terrace daybed, table and two chairs, small private pool. NOTE: Private pools and terraces may have limited privacy.
- Two-Story Casita with Plunge Pool Oceanfront: These beachfront upper floor suites offer a king bed and balcony with daybed, while the second story offers a private plunge pool, shower area, and second daybed. Ocean view.
- Penthouse Suite with Plunge Pool Ocean View: Separate bedroom with king bed, sofa, armchair, flat screen TV and in-room Jacuzzi, separate living room with sofa, armchair, second flat screen TV, dining table and two chairs, kitchen area with breakfast bar, fully stocked refrigerator, microwave, stovetop, bar sink half-bathroom, balcony with private plunge pool, three daybeds, table and two chairs, shower area. Other amenities include fresh flowers upon arrival, butler service, iPad use, one special Jacuzzi decoration, complimentary transportation to/from the airport, packing/unpacking service, one private dinner on the beach, unlimited access to the spa’s hydrotherapy circuit, upgraded in-room liquors, CD/DVD player, daily fresh fruit and petit fours. Ocean view.
- The Owner’s Suite: Separate bedroom with king bed, two large armchairs, flat screen TV and in-room Jacuzzi, separate living room with two sofas, flat screen TV, bar area, dining table and four chairs, kitchenette with fully stocked refrigerator, two bathrooms, two conjoining terraces with private plunge pool, multiple daybeds and loungers, table and chairs, shower area. Other amenities include fresh flowers upon arrival, butler service, iPad use, complimentary transportation to/from airport, packing/unpacking service, one hr. of barman service within the suite, one private beach dinner, unlimited access to the spa’s hydrotherapy circuit, upgraded in-room liquors, CD/DVD player, daily fresh fruit and petit fours. Ocean view.
- NOTE: Casita Consentida, Hermosa, Bella, and Bonita have better ocean views than the other casitas. Also, due to the general layout of the suites, many lack bathroom privacy from the rest of the bedroom.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Available
Resort Amenities: Three pools (one beachfront with a swim-up bar and two “quiet” pools), four heated Jacuzzis, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, yoga room, bicycle tour in the mornings, non-motorized water sports (parasailing and motorized water sports are north along the beach), pool and beach wait service, dbl loungers, beach massage, tennis courts, boutique and gift shop, photographer, game room, giant chess, concierge, tour desk, medical services, and car rental.
Pool Hours: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Restaurants/Bars: This resort offers four restaurants including a beach grill which primarily offers seafood (El Mar), Mediterranean (Aroma), Mexican (Lupita), and steaks/seafood served poolside (Isla Grill). Reservations are not required at any of the restaurants. While there is buffet breakfast service at Aroma, there are no dinner buffets in any of the restaurants. Lupita Lounge offers a sushi and ceviche bar for additional food choices, while the Natura Bar serves waffles and crepes. There are four bars including the swim-up bar, lobby bar, Lupita Lounge, and the smoothie bar. NOTE: There has been an increase in mosquitoes at dusk; guests having dinner at one of the open-air restaurants should go prepared wearing effective insect repellant lotion/spray.
Entertainment: This resort does not have a theater; however, there is live music, karaoke, and casino night at Lupita Lounge. There is a “White Party” on Thursday nights, and a “Mexican Party” on Sundays.