Karisma has done it again, but with even more amenities–an “all-suite, all-butler, all-gourmet” beachfront resort in the heart of the Riviera Maya, just 25 min. south of the Cancun airport called Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma. The resort was recently awarded the AAA Four Diamond award for stellar amenities and service; this kind of recognition is extremely rare for a brand new resort which only opened its doors February 2014.
The newest Karisma resort offering is a six-story contemporary stunner with facilities to accommodate couples, wedding parties, and multiple families with their one-to-three bedroom connecting suites.
Parents can breathe a sigh of relief since their children, ages 4-12, are thoroughly entertained and well taken care of at the Eko Kid’s Club which offers activities and play areas such as a ball pit, Lego room, small rock climbing wall, trampoline, movie theater, gaming consoles, dance floor, craft stations, and separate nap rooms. The resort recently began a program called Little Eko Chefs which shows children how to make different dishes–this is actually a hands-on activity which has become very popular since its implementation in August 2014. Teens have their own space where they can eat, drink a soda, play pool or video games.
While the children are being entertained, adults may visit the adjoining adults-only Karisma properties, El Dorado Casitas Royale and El Dorado Royale. Although Generations adult guests cannot use the pools or beach area of the El Dorado properties, they are free to use all bars (with the exception of swim-up bars), restaurants, spas, beauty salon, fitness center, and may also venture over for evening entertainment. Here are several amenities which make this resort unique:
- butler service for all guests; butlers are responsible for resort orientation, making on and off-site reservations for various activities/tours/dining, arranging for special occasions, steam cleaning a limited number of garments the first evening of your stay, making sure your suite preferences are in place, ordering room service, serving continental breakfast and family dinners en-suite, and cleaning or shining shoes for dinner.
- 24-hr. in-suite dining
- large number of suites with water access (swim-up suites on the ground floor and infinity pools on floors 2-4)
- 10 room categories to choose from (resort suite total is 144)
- ocean views from a majority of rooms since they all have balconies facing the sea (ground floor rooms may be the exception since their terraces adjoin the main pool)
- beachfront pool spans almost the entire length of the resort
- the Sky Terrace (a rooftop area) which accommodates 100 people for meetings, events, or weddings
- baby beach lounge–this is a special shaded beach area for little ones
- separate circular children’s pool with shade and fountain; this is located next to the main pool so that parents don’t have to go far from their fun to supervise their children. Kids even get their own pint-size loungers and umbrellas!
- although Karisma is known for their gourmet a la carte dining, there is a buffet at Generations
- kid’s menu at many restaurants
- Eko Kids Club amenities and Little Eko Chefs (see above)
- baby amenities; Karisma offers strollers, cribs, pack and play, baby monitors, changing tables, and bottle warmers for use while on vacation so that parents can travel on the lighter side
- heated bathroom floors
- beachfront chapel
- on-line pre-arrival form outlining guests’ preferences (concerning allergies, special occasions, pillow menu, babysitting/nanny needs, etc.)
- complimentary WiFi was added July 2015, and international calls are complimentary as of Oct. 1, 2015.
Although families will fall in love with this resort, beach lovers would do better to look elsewhere (at least at the present time). This particular stretch of beach and ocean bottom which borders all three properties is rocky; concrete blocks lie offshore to help stop beach erosion. These concrete blocks are actually part of a high-tech master plan which includes building an artificial reef called the Kan-Kanan (as of February 2015 this aritificial reef was still being completed–it is a massive project). The creation of an artificial reef does take time and improves snorkeling opportunities, but for right now the stretch of ocean in front of the resort is not very swimmable. Bring water shoes if you’re contemplating entering the water.
Generations Riviera Maya has become such a popular Karisma resort that it has already seen its share of celebrities and has also prompted the closure of the prior family-friendly Karisma resort, Generations Maroma. It is classy and family-friendly at the same time which can be a difficult achievement for a resort to pull off.
Type of Resort: Family-friendly
Pro: Brand new resort, enjoy the amenities of three resorts for one price, excellent children’s amenities, butler service for all guests, free WiFi.
Con: Ocean swimming, getting to El Dorado Royale restaurants or bars may require use of the resort shuttle.
Best Suited For: Families with children ages 4-8, vacationers looking for some extra pampering and high-end room finishes.
No. of Rooms: 144
Room Amenities: King or two dbl beds, oversized balcony with ocean view, A/C, in-room safe, mini-bar, two 47″ flat screen Smart TV’s, coffee maker, radio alarm clock with iPod dock, telephone, iron/ironing board, robe and slippers, hair dryer, dbl sink, Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, toiletries, room service, 24 hr. in-room dining (continental breakfast and family theme dinners served by butlers are available for 1-3 bedroom suites only), WiFi and international calls are complimentary. Room categories are as follows:
- Luxury Jacuzzi Suite: King or two dbls, separate living room area with sofa bed and 2nd TV.
- Oceanfront One Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite: Master bedroom with king bed, separate living room with sofa bed, dining area with a table for six and fully equipped kitchen, full and half bathroom, and private outdoor shower.
- Oceanfront One Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite with Swim-Up: All the above amenities of the Oceanfront One Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite with shallow water section off the terrace which connects to the main pool.
- Oceanfront One Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite Infinity: All the amenities of the Oceanfront One Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite with balcony infinity pool.
- Oceanfront Two Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite: Combination of the Oceanfront One Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite and Luxury Jacuzzi Suite.
- Oceanfront Two Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite Swim-Up: All the amenities of the Oceanfront Two Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite with shallow water section off the terrace which connects to the main pool.
- Oceanfront Two Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite Infinity: All the amenities of the Oceanfront Two Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite with balcony infinity pool.
- Oceanfront Three Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite: Combination of the Oceanfront One Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite and two Luxury Jacuzzi Suites.
- Oceanfront Three Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite Swim-Up: All the amenities of the Oceanfront Three Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite with shallow water section off the terrace which connects to the main pool.
- Oceanfront Three Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite Infinity: All the amenities of the Oceanfront Three Bedroom Jacuzzi Suite with balcony infinity pool.
- NOTE: Due to balcony configurations, fourth floor rooms with infinity pools tend to get the most sun during the day so the water stays warmer.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Not available
Resort Amenities: Main pool with swim-up bar, children’s pool, small fitness center, beach wait service, poolside concierge cart with sunscreen/reading material, butler service, family lounge, executive lounge, car rental, concierge, tour desk, resort shuttle service, complimentary Bali beds, baby beach lounge, Eko Kid’s Club (ages 4-12), Little Eko Chefs program, baby equipment (stroller, crib, etc.), gift shop and sundry store, and beachfront chapel. El Dorado Royale and El Dorado Casitas Royale amenities include spa, sauna and steam room, fitness center, beauty salon, tennis courts, giant checkers set, horse stables, bicycles, greenhouse tour, and complimentary shuttle service to Playa del Carmen and Cancun (only adults may visit these sister resorts to access amenities).
Restaurants/Bars: There is one buffet (Chef Market), and four a la cartes including Mediterranean (Habb), Pan Asian (Jade), Mexican/Caribbean (Palms Gourmet Terrace), and gourmet wine-related cuisine (Wine Kitchen, Restaurant, and Tasting Room). Bars include the swim-up bar, Sling bar, and the lobby lounge. No on-site dinner reservations are required. Restaurants at the El Dorado sister resorts include an international menu at Cocotal, Mediterranean (La Isla), surf and turf (Jo Jo’s), Mexican Nouvelle (El Rincon), two Italian restaurants–D’Italia Villas and D’Italia Casitas Royale, Fuentes Culinary Theater, and the new Santa Fe Grill (the last two restaurants require reservations). Bars at the sister resorts include the lobby Martini bar at El Dorado Royale, three beach bars, and Bellini at the Casitas Royale.
Entertainment: There are several live shows at Generations, while adults may also visit El Dorado Royale for nightly entertainment as well.