(I stayed at this resort Feb. 2017. If you would like to read my resort review and/or see my picture gallery, follow this link).
Open in November 2016, Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf and Spa Resort is the newest AMResorts property in Mexico. While the Dreams brand name and its offerings are popular among families, this particular Dreams resort has lots of new amenities including a children’s water park, two waterslides, a Lazy River, second floor swim-out suite pools, private beachfront suite pools, separate two-bedroom family villas, and an onsite dolphin interaction program (this is supposed to be open early summer 2017). While families are this resort’s specialty, couples are also welcome–in fact, this resort is quickly becoming known as a prime wedding destination due to its large meeting areas set amidst beautiful ground and pool areas.
Dreams Playa Mujeres is located in Playa Mujeres, a private gated community with its own Greg Norman-designed golf course 10 min. north of downtown Cancun. There are only a handful of resorts here including its sister resort, the adults-only Secrets Playa Mujeres, which is just north of the property and easily accessible via the beach or pathways which are clearly marked (it takes approximately five min. to walk from one property to another). Adults staying at Dreams are free to access amenities at the Secrets resort next door (and vice versa) including use of its non-motorized water sports equipment. Since Playa Mujeres is off the beaten path of Cancun’s Hotel Zone, partiers will find that it is quite a cab ride to the popular nightclubs of Cancun; however, the resort does have an onsite disco with its own DJ’s who are more than happy to keep the party going until 1 a.m.
Families will not be disappointed with the variety of child-oriented amenities at Dreams Playa Mujeres. The following is a list of the many fun things children and teenagers can do at the resort:
- Explorer’s Club accepts children ages 3-12 and is open until 10 p.m.
- separate Explorer’s Club playground and smaller water park with slides for younger children
- weekly beach camping adventure for younger children
- kid’s theater
- Core Zone Teen Club accepts children ages 13-17 and is open until 1 a.m.
- Euro-Bungee and rock climbing wall at Core Zone Teen Club
- video gaming room, games room with air hockey and pool tables
- weekly beach bonfires, disco mixers, and foam parties for Core Zone teens
- two waterslides, both for adults and children
- children’s water park with slides, water buckets, and water cannons
- separate shallow toddler pool
- Lazy River for Preferred Club guests
- bicycle tour for ages 10+
- beauty salon services for teens
While the resort offers two waterslides, the covered slide has been closed because of an exit clearance issue–hopefully this issue will be resolved in the near future. Also, due to a lack of water velocity, the slide which is open can be slow for adults causing them to get “stuck” in their descent–another problem which hopefully will be quickly resolved.
While the kids are busy with their own activities, couples can spend time at the magnificent pool areas at Dreams Playa Mujeres. There are two bi-level infinity pools, three swim-up bars including a grotto bar, and an overhead deck area which showcases live entertainment during afternoon hours. All pools have loungers, most with shade umbrellas, while first-come first-served poolside Bali beds are scattered around two of the three pool areas (while the poolside Bali beds were originally supposed to be accessible to only Preferred Club guests, everyone has been able to use them).
Although all pools are supposed to be heated, water temperature during the winter months can still be on the cool side. A previous drawback and general complaint had been the general lack of food available poolside; while many other resorts, especially five-star luxury resorts, offer handy lunch and snack opportunities for those spending a leisurely afternoon at the pool, Dreams Playa Mujeres for the most part did not until recently–guests had to visit sit-down restaurants or grab a sandwich or salad to-go at That’s A Wrap. As of late March 2017, the resort is not offering a poolside BBQ on a daily basis for the convenience of its guests. Adult guests wanting a change of scenery are free to visit Secrets Playa Mujeres next door and enjoy its pools, bars, Jacuzzis, restaurants, and poolside BBQ.
Although beach lovers may not find the exquisite turquoise ocean waters of Cancun proper, it is actually quite swimmable here with a smooth entry and white sand which is always cool to walk upon. Those who like beach strolls can do so in either direction, while those who enjoy a more leisurely visit to the beach will find a limited number of loungers and shade palapas for all guests on the south side; comfortable Bali beds are only for Preferred Club upgraded guests on the north side (first-come first-served). While there are two beach bars, Preferred Club guests get their own private bar with wait service. Vacationers can also expect to be able to interact with dolphins at Dreams Playa Mujeres–the south side pier area which was still under construction in March 2017 will house the dolphins; this amenity is supposed to be open by early summer 2017. While Playa Mujeres does get some sea grass deposits on its shoreline, there is a tractor which goes along the beach in the early morning and does its best to remove it so as to make ocean entry easier.
It’s impossible to go hungry or thirsty at Dreams Playa Mujeres with nine restaurants, an ice cream shop, 13 bars (most which serve top-shelf liquor), 24-hr. room service, and access to a smaller buffet selection during the night at one of the a la cartes. The buffet offers a small, child-friendly section with kid-size portions within easy reach, while adults can have a more quiet and leisurely meal at the adults-only French restaurant. While reservations are not taken (with the exception of the teppanyaki show tables–show up at the restaurant by 5:15 p.m. to reserve your spot for the evening), guests who have to wait to be seated are given a pager.
When it’s time to retire for the evening, guests can enjoy one of the 502 suites available, some which are unique offerings of the Dreams resort chain. Families have more privacy with separate two-bedroom villas, while swim-up suite fans can now have better ocean views with the Preferred Club 2nd story elevated pools. Those craving a beachfront view from their own private pool may have to sacrifice some degree of terrace privacy, while brides-to-be can have their wedding ceremony on their very own ocean view balcony in the Paramount Suite. Bathrooms in all rooms are large with separate showers, dbl vessel sinks, and Bluetooth enabled, while most balconies offer a Jacuzzi tub. Louvered panels which separate the bathroom from the remainder of the room can be opened or closed; however, there is limited bathroom privacy for those within earshot.
Guests willing to leave their contemporary, well-equipped rooms will discover that the resort also offers a spa with Temazcal hut and accompanying ceremony, fitness center, and theater with nightly performances. A beach fire show with its own DJ gets kids and parents dancing before and after the show, while themed parties are paired with additional buffets and matching video offerings (think Super Bowl or Oscar parties as an example). Adult guests willing to go next door to the Secrets resort will find additional amenities such as tennis courts, archery, and a batting cage.
There is no doubt that Dreams Playa Mujeres is a gorgeous, high-end property with a price to match. Unless potential guests must have a particular room type due to family size or a desired location, it may not be necessary to upgrade to the Preferred Club. The circular nature of the resort’s layout gives all guests easy access to amenities from every corner, while many non-upgraded rooms have some sort of ocean view; all guests can walk to any amenity within minutes–no golf carts or shuttle transportation needed here.
Type of Resort: Family-friendly
Pro: Multiple pools, water park, lazy river, adults stay at one play at two, balcony Jacuzzi
Con: Slow waterslide, no poolside food, isolated location, limited privacy at some beachfront suite pools, pricey
Best Suited For: Affluent families, couples, wedding destination
No. of Rooms: 502
Room Amenities: All 502 suites include a king or two queen beds, A/C, balcony/terrace, iPad with USB ports, rooms are Bluetooth enabled, sitting area with sofa bed, desk and two chairs, ceiling fan, coffee table, full-length mirror, room service box, mini-bar, digital safe, flat screen TV, two telephones with free calls to the USA/Canada/local lines with the Unlimited Connectivity mobile app, radio alarm clock, Nespresso coffee maker, steam iron and ironing board, robe and slippers, umbrella, hair dryer, dbl vessel sinks, two-person shower with rainforest showerhead and slider showerhead, Jacuzzi tub, toiletries, complimentary WiFi and 24-hr. room service. Here is a quick rundown of guest room categories:
- Jr. Suite Garden View: King or two queen beds, sofa bed with privacy curtain, balcony day bed and Jacuzzi.
- Jr. Suite Pool View: King or two queen beds, sofa bed with privacy curtain, balcony day bed and Jacuzzi.
- Jr. Suite Partial Ocean View: King or two queen beds, sofa bed with privacy curtain, balcony day bed and Jacuzzi.
- Jr. Suite Ocean View: King or two queen beds, sofa bed with privacy curtain, balcony day bed and Jacuzzi.
(Preferred Club Amenities)
- private check-in/out
- private concierge
- access to the Preferred Club Lounge with continental breakfast, afternoon hors d’oeuvres, desserts in the evening, bar with top-shelf liquor, large flat screen TV, newspapers, computer access, and wait service
- access Maris Seafood Restaurant for breakfast (try the chicken chilaquiles and preserved fruit)
- access to the Lazy River
- private area on the beach with Bali beds, Hideaway beach bar, and wait service
- one day pass to the “wet” areas at Secrets Playa Mujeres spa next door
- 20% off spa treatments at the resort
- upgraded mini-bar and toiletries
- complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and fruit
- complimentary daily newspaper upon request
(Preferred Club Suites)
- Preferred Club Jr. Suite Ocean View: King or two queen beds, sofa bed with privacy curtain, balcony day bed and Jacuzzi.
- Preferred Club Jr. Suite Swim-Out Ocean View: King or two queen beds, sofa bed with privacy curtain, balcony with access to shared pool on the 2nd floor (heated in winter), balcony Jacuzzi.
- Preferred Club Jr. Suite Oceanfront with Private Pool: King or two queen beds, sofa bed with privacy curtain, terrace with two full loungers, table and two large chairs, terrace with access to a small private pool (limited terrace privacy from other adjacent room balconies), direct beach access, upstairs balcony with Jacuzzi tub and full loungers. NOTE: It can be difficult to see the ocean when standing in the private terrace pool due to the natural vegetation, Bali beds, or beach bar, depending on the room’s location. However, there is an expansive ocean view from the upstairs balcony.
- Preferred Club Master Suite Ocean View: Separate bedroom with king or two queen beds, desk and chair, bureau, flat screen TV and iPad, separate living room with sofa bed, armchair, second flat screen TV and telephone, dining table and four chairs, wet bar area with sink, snacks and very small bottles of whiskey, white rum, and tequila, bathroom Jacuzzi tub, half bathroom, balcony with day bed, Jacuzzi, and loungers. These rooms are located on the top floor of Preferred Club buildings.
- Preferred Club Master Suite Swim-Out Ocean View: Separate bedroom with king bed, armchair, desk and chair, bureau, flat screen TV and iPad, separate living room with sofa bed, armchair, second flat screen TV and telephone, dining table and four chairs, wet bar area with sink, snacks, fruit, and very small botlles of whiskey, white rum, and tequila, complimentary bottle of red wine and sparkling wine, bathroom Jacuzzi tub, half bathroom, balcony with access to shared pool on the 2nd floor (heated in winter), day bed, full lounger, table and chairs.
- Preferred Club Master Suite Oceanfront with Private Pool: Separate bedroom with king bed, armchair, desk and chair, bureau, flat screen TV and iPad, separate living room with sofa bed, armchair, second flat screen TV and telephone, dining table and four chairs, wet bar area with sink, snacks, fruit, and very small bottles of whiskey, white rum, and tequila, complimentary bottle of red wine and sparkling wine, bathroom Jacuzzi tub, half bathroom, terrace with private pool, full loungers, table and chairs. NOTE: It can be difficult to see the ocean when in the private pool due to the natural vegetation, Bali beds, or beach bar, depending on the room’s location. However, there is an expansive ocean view from the upstairs balcony.
- Preferred Club Two-Bedroom Villa: Two bedrooms–one with a king bed while the other has two queen beds, flat screen TV in each, each bedroom has its own bathroom with shower-only, separate living room with sofa bed, third flat screen TV, dining table and six chairs, terrace with Jacuzzi, loungers, and access to the Lazy River.
- Preferred Club Paramount Suite Ocean View: This suite has a whopping 4,949 sq. feet of space suitable for small weddings, cocktail receptions, or private meetings/dinners for up to 70 guests (wedding setups/packages through the resort typically involve 30 guests). The suite offers a separate bedroom with king bed and flat screen TV, an adjoining living room area with sofa bed and flat screen TV, separate powder room, a second living room area with sofa bed, adjoining dining table and eight chairs, a kitchenette with sink, half bathroom, upstairs terrace area with Jacuzzi tub, furniture, and expansive ocean views. There are separate entrances both for employees and guests.
- Preferred Club Family Presidential Suite Ocean View: Two bedrooms–one with a king bed while the other has two queen beds, flat screen TV in each, two bathrooms (the master suite has both a shower and Jacuzzi tub while the second bedroom has a bathroom with shower-only), separate living room area with sofa bed, dining table and eight chairs, kitchenette with sink, both bedrooms have access to a large terrace with Jacuzzi tub and outdoor furniture. The oversized upstairs balcony has another large dining table and multiple chairs, Jacuzzi tub, and expansive ocean views.
- Preferred Club Presidential Suite Oceanfront: Looking for more space on your vacation? This room category has 8,866 sq. feet of luxury with a separate bedroom with king bed, walk-in closet, small table and two chairs, flat screen TV, separate living room area with sofa bed, two armchairs and flat screen TV, dining table and eight chairs, full kitchen, private office area, additional full bathroom, master bathroom with Jacuzzi tub, large terrace with private pool, four loungers and shade umbrellas, multiple seating areas, hammock, large Jacuzzi, upstairs terrace with multiple loungers, seating area and Jacuzzi.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Available
Resort Amenities: Three main pools heated in winter (two bi-level infinity pools, three swim-up bars), a toddler pool, children’s water park, water park for younger children at the Explorer’s Club, two waterslides, Lazy River (for Preferred Club guests), four Jacuzzis, spa, Temazcal hut with ceremony, beauty salon, fitness center, bicycle tour (age 10+), non-motorized water sports at Secrets Playa Mujeres, access to tennis courts/archery/batting cage at Secrets Playa Mujeres (age 18+), complimentary greens fees at Playa Mujeres Golf Course, pool wait service (beach wait service only for Preferred Club guests), two beach bars, Explorer’s Club (ages 3-12), Core Teen Club (ages 13-17) with Euro-Bungee and rock climbing wall, theater, concierge, clothing shop, gift shop, jewelry store, photo shop, tour desk, car rental, wedding showroom, and medical service. Adult guests have access to the neighboring resort, Secrets Playa Mujeres, to enjoy its amenities.
Restaurants/Bars: There is one buffet (World Café) and six a la cartes including seafood (Maris), Mexican (Tres Colores), Mediterranean (Mezés), French (L’Etoile–adults-only), Brazilian Rodizio (Gaucho Grill), and Japanese (Fusion–teppanyaki show tables). While reservations are not accepted for most dining options, they are required for the teppanyaki show tables at Fusion–arrive at the restaurant by 5:15 p.m. to wait in line to reserve your spot. Other luncheon possibilities include a poolside grill (Tides), and pre-made sandwiches or make your own salad at That’s A Wrap along with a daily poolside BBQ. Snacks, pastries, specialty coffees, and ice cream can be had at Dolce. This resort has 13 bars including two non-alcoholic ones designed for tweens and teens. There are three swim-up bars, a lobby bar, two beach bars, theater bar, disco bar, Lazy River bar, two poolside bars, a bar for the teens and one for the Explorer’s Club. Upgraded guests have access to the Preferred Club bar. Adult guests have access to the neighboring resort, Secrets Playa Mujeres, to enjoy its restaurants and bars.
Entertainment: Nightly shows at the theater, beach fire show, disco, live afternoon entertainment by the beachfront infinity pool, casino games in the lobby area, player piano in the lobby bar.