Sitting amidst 500 acres on a gorgeous sugar-white sand beach in the Riviera Maya is the infamous adults-only Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun resort. This award-winning all-inclusive is synonymous with service and luxury; acknowledgment of its level of amenities and service includes the AAA Five Diamond rating, Condé Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Award and Traveler Gold List Award, and a listing in Travel and Leisure’s World’s Best Hotels in Latin America/Mexico.
The beach at Secrets Maroma is renowned–Travel Channel voted Maroma beach one of the best beaches in the world for several consecutive years. The sugar-white sand stays cool all the time and is a flour-like texture, perfect for long walks in either direction or cooling trips from your lounge chair to the ocean for a refreshing swim. Ocean entry is smooth and the ocean bottom is not rocky, so water shoes are never necessary on this beach. During the day, guests can enjoy the many beach Bali beds (available for USD $50), the new Presidential beach beds, non-motorized water sports including Hobie Cats, while evenings bring weekly beach parties and periodic big screen movies. If you enjoy a good beach bar, the one at Secrets Maroma has swings for seats.
Numerous Bali beds are also found on the grounds and poolside, also available for USD $50. In addition to the beds, sufficient loungers and umbrellas make early morning “chair hogging” unnecessary–resort staff have been known to remove towels from loungers if they’ve been unoccupied for an hour or more. There are two main pools, one is directly beachfront while the other is adjacent and offers a swim-up bar. Secrets Maroma is one of the few resorts which offers aqua spinning classes, so look for the start time on the activity board. There is a nearby hammock section and “Nest Zone” (cocoon-shaped hammocks) for napping or cuddling with your significant other. Guests who want a change of pace can take the bicycle tour into town or play the onsite miniature golf course.
Secrets Maroma offers eight different guest room accommodations. All rooms are suites with a balcony/terrace and in-room Jacuzzi tub, while some suites have a balcony Jacuzzi and swim-up access. There are 13 additional pools for swim-up rooms; however, none of these join with the main pools. Since guest room buildings are clustered in the shape of a giant inverted “U” around the pool area, there are only a few buildings which can be considered oceanfront (#17 and #27). Guests needing bathroom privacy should be aware the in-room Jacuzzi tub (and part of the bathroom) is separated from the bedroom with only a curtain. To improve guest service, each guest room block has its own concierge. In addition, the resort is finishing its guest room renovation plan which will end December 2017.
Because of its location on a world-famous beach, Secrets Maroma can be quite expensive to book. It has become a magnet for destination weddings and couples celebrating honeymoons, anniversaries, as well as hosting corporate events. Be prepared for the possibility of larger groups–these events can occur in poolside venues officially until 11 p.m., and unofficially until much later.
Type of Resort: Adults-only
Pro: Beach, service, complimentary WiFi and most calls with the Secrets app, one of the pools is heated.
Con: Pricey, oceanfront rooms are scarce.
Best Suited For: Couples celebrating special occasions, destination weddings, beach lovers.
No. of Rooms: 412
Room Amenities: Four poster king bed or two dbl beds, A/C, balcony/terrace, ceiling fan, sofa, his ‘n hers closets, mini-bar, digital safe, room service delivery box, flat screen TV, CD/DVD player, telephone, radio alarm clock with iPod dock, Nespresso coffee maker, robe and slippers, iron/ironing board, hair dryer, Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, toiletries, 24-hr. room service. WiFi as well as calls to the US, Canada, and local calls are complimentary if you download the Secrets app. Here is a brief rundown of guest room categories:
- Jr. Suite: King or two dbl beds. Partial ocean view.
- Jr. Suite Ocean View: King or two dbl beds. Keep in mind that with the configuration of the resort, an ocean view may very well be a partial ocean view or ocean view from a distance.
- Jr. Suite Swim-Out: King bed, access off the terrace to a private pool. Tropical/pool view.
(Preferred Club Amenities)
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun also offers an upgraded service for guests to enjoy called the Preferred Club. Amenities include the following:
- private check-in/out
- premium guest room building location
- access to the Preferred Club Lounge with continental breakfast, afternoon hors d’oeuvres, desserts, premium liquor, and complimentary computer use
- upgraded mini-bar with small bottles of liquor and extra snacks
- upgraded toiletries
- daily newspaper
- pillow menu
- complimentary in-suite WiFi
(Preferred Club Room Categories)
- Jr. Suite Ocean View: King or two dbl beds.
- Jr. Suite Swim-Out: King bed, access from the terrace to a private pool. Partial ocean view/ocean view.
- Jr. Suite Oceanfront: King bed. Ocean view.
- Honeymoon Suite: King bed in separate bedroom along with armchair and flat screen TV, living rom area with sofa, two armchairs, coffee table, flat screen TV, dining table and four chairs, wet bar, breakfast bar with two chairs, half bathroom, full bathroom with dbl shower, balcony with two sitting areas, table and two chairs, and Jacuzzi tub (non-heated). NOTE: Balconies do not have solid partitions between one another, so guests can see other guests on their balconies next door. Oceanfront.
- Presidential Suite: King bed in separate bedroom along with divan and flat screen TV, living room area with large sectional sofa, armchairs, coffee table, flat screen TV, kitchen area with breakfast bar, full refrigerator, microwave, wet bar, dining table and eight chairs, terrace with sitting areas, loungers, and swim-out access. Upper floor suites have a balcony Jacuzzi. Oceanfront.
NOTE: Those booking swim-out suites should be aware that most of the private pools and terraces do not receive full afternoon sun for maximum heating of the pool and surrounding area. Those which tend to get more sun are buildings #13 through #16.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Available
Resort Amenities: Two pools (one with swim-up bar and that pool is also heated), two poolside Jacuzzis, spa, fitness center, tennis courts/lessons, multipurpose sports court, archery, euro-bungee, aqua spinning, game lounge, non-motorized water sports, open-air theater, disco, pool and beach wait service, hammock section including new Nest Zone, giant chess, multiple concierges, tour desk, business center, cigar shop, car rental, ATM, and complimentary greens fees at Grand Coral Golf Riviera Maya.
Restaurants/Bars: This resort offers a buffet (World Café), a poolside grill (Barefoot Grill), and six a la cartes including French (Bordeaux), Mexican (El Patio), Pan Asian (Himitsu–teppanyaki show tables), Italian (Portofino), seafood (Oceana), a seafood Grill (Seaside Grill), along with a café (Coco Café) and private dining venue, the Wine Cellar which is an extra charge. Reservations are only required at the teppanyaki show tables at Himitisu along with the Wine Cellar. Seven bars are located throughout the propery including a swim-up bar, poolside bar, beach bar, lobby bar, theater bar, music lounge bar, and spa bar serving juices.
Entertainment: For sports fans there are multiple TV’s in Desires Music Lounge where guests can watch the “big game”; a DJ, movies on the beach, and nightly shows in the open-air theater. There is live music at the lobby bar.