Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort, formerly known as the popular all-inclusive Ceiba del Mar, opened its doors in March 2012 as a “lifestyle” resort. Guests need to be comfortable with total nudity and public sexual displays to enjoy their stay here. Although the resort attracts both “swingers” and nudists, mostly between the ages of 35 and 60, many book here just looking to enjoy the freedoms associated with shedding their clothes in a more upscale vacation environment with like-minded individuals. Public sexual behaviors are restricted to the larger Jacuzzi Lounge area and the Play Room off the disco, while nudity is OK in the pool and around the resort’s public areas–clothing/a cover-up is required in all restaurants, hallways, and the lobby, however. Given the nature of this resort, picture taking and videos are not allowed with the exception of private photos taken in the privacy of one’s room, of course. NOTE: There have been recent posts stating that sexual behaviors are allowed on the beach area (re. on one’s beach Bali bed, for example, so check with management if this is the new rule.
Vacationers who stay at the Pearl will find a beautifully landscaped property with seven villas/guest room buildings all with ocean view, a winding beachfront pool with swim-up bar, a large heated Jacuzzi with swim-up bar, spa, fitness center, and three restaurants.
Daytime activities include sexy darts, sensual aqua fitness, belly dance lessons, pole dance lessons, and nude volleyball, to name a few. Nightlife sizzles here with themed parties throughout the week (check the resort’s website for a complete listing of current theme nights and recommended apparel). Female guests tend to dress up for theme night parties; if you don’t bring any costumes, the onsite clothing boutique/logoshop has several outfits which can be purchased.
The only major drawback to the property is the rocky ocean bottom–although the actual beach area is beautiful with fine white sand and beach cabanas, ocean swimmers may be disappointed with the amount of deposited sea grass and ocean entry at this resort.
Type of Resort: Lifestyle resort for heterosexual couples-only age 21+, clothing-optional
Pro: Large heated Jacuzzi, freeform pool, ocean view rooms, active nightlife scene, complimentary WiFi
Con: Rocky ocean bottom, room service charge, smoking allowed in some general areas of the resort (such as the Jacuzzi Lounge)
Best Suited For: Heterosexual couples comfortable with nudity and seeing/performing public sexual acts.
No. of Rooms: 88
Room Amenities: King or two queen beds, A/C, balcony/terrace, sitting room area with sofa/chairs, small desk area, ceiling fan, digital safe, mini-bar, TV, telephone, radio alarm clock, hair dryer, separate shower and tub, and toiletries. Room service is an extra charge. Here is a brief rundown of guest room categories:
- Ocean View: King bed
- Jr. Suite: King or two queen beds, small sofa, coffee table, bathtub overlooks the room through shuttered panels
- Master Suite: Separate bedroom with a king or two queen beds, TV and telephone, small sofa and coffee table, separate living room area with large sofa, chair, coffee table, TV and telephone, robe and slippers, bathtub overlooks the room through shuttered panels, two full bathrooms.
- Master Suite with Plunge Pool: Bedroom area with king or two queen beds, sofa, TV and telephone, separate living room area with sofa, coffee table, TV and telephone, work area with desk and chair, bar area with wet sink, bathtub overlooks the room through shuttered panels, two bathrooms, terrace with small plunge pool, daybed, and table and chairs. Butler service is included. Located on the ground floor.
- Penthouse Passion Suite with Plunge Pool: Bedroom area with king bed, sofa, coffee table, living room area with sofa, two chairs, coffee table, adjoining dining area with table and four chairs, two telephones, robe and slippers, terrace with plunge pool, daybed, and table and four chairs. Butler service and complimentary airport transportation is included. Ocean view.
- NOTE: There are no elevators at this resort.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Not available.
Resort Amenities: Beachfront freeform pool (swim-up bar), heated Jacuzzi (swim-up bar), Play Room (clothing-optional), spa, fitness center, sauna and steam room, pool and beach wait service, pier gazebo for private dinners and small group meetings, day pass to Desire Resort and Spa Riviera Maya (the sister resort), disco, clothing boutique, beach hammocks, concierge, tour desk, and ATM. The resort has started a new program of offering a “Fantasy Menu” for couples wanting to indulge in their favorite erotic fantasies for an extra price; there is also an optional four hr. Catamaran Cruise for an extra price. Express online check-in is also offered.
Restaurants/Bars: There is one buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch (Aphrodite–international a la carte for dinner) and two additional a la cartes including fusion cuisine with three separate menus (Pearl), and the newly opened Unik Gastrobar which serves gourmet tapas (reservations required). The Pearl also offers overnight snacks, while there are late night tacos at the disco. There are four bars including two swim-ups, a lobby bar, and the disco bar.
Entertainment: This resort emphasizes both day and night entertainment which have more sensual takes or themes–pole dance lessons, for example, and costume nights with various performers. There are also foam parties, live music in the lobby, and DJ music.