The wine-inspired Secrets the Vine Cancun is sandwiched between Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience and Hard Rock Cancun–it is a high-rise built perpendicular to the sea which provides less beachfront than some of the other nearby resorts. Furniture and features are chic and contemporary with some twists not commonly seen in all-inclusives such as the lobby’s elongated gas fireplace, glass-enclosed wine wall with handcrafted wine-tasting table for sommelier-led wine tastings, hand carved natural stone reception desk, and non-skid Italian porcelain floors in guest rooms. This Secrets resort exudes an aura of sophisticated elegance without being garish or “over the top”; those who enjoy wine, good company, modern décor, rooms with both awesome ocean and lagoon views, and not having to wear resort wristbands will most likely thoroughly enjoy their stay.
Given its perpendicular orientation to the sea, amenities are in close quarters to one another, especially the outdoor areas. There are four heated pools which were recently renovated–two beachfront (one is an infinity pool), a lengthy lap pool, and the more sedate and isolated Preferred Club pool up on the 12th floor. The Preferred Club pool is for Preferred Club guests only with its own bar service, padded loungers, and shade umbrellas, all with a great ocean view. While all sundecks have loungers and umbrellas, canopied structures line the property wall over by the lap pool–these are not typical Bali beds, but rather two padded loungers with accompanying pillows. There is also a very popular beachfront Jacuzzi along with the “chef’s parade” which happens at 1 p.m. (kitchen staff bring out trays of appetizers to hand out to the guests). There are two poolside bars, but no swim-up bar.
Several steps lead down from the pool to the powder-white sand beach with its easy ocean entry and stunning turquoise waters. There are hammocks and canopied structures (similar to the ones poolside) on the north side of the property along the wall, and there are plenty of loungers to go around. If there aren’t enough shade umbrellas already set up, just ask a staff member and they will set one up for you.
One of the resort’s distinctive amenities is the white glass shower inside each guest room, usually within site of the bed. Although it has a beautiful design, it can pose a privacy issue for friends traveling together or parents bringing adult children. Those wanting more shower privacy may want to consider the Master Suite since this room category has a separate living room–the shower is inside the bedroom and the bedroom can be closed off by a sliding panel. Several guest room categories also have in-room soaker tubs with exterior views, another great room amenity.
Dining opportunities include five a la cartes (one for Preferred Club members), a buffet, a café, and poolside BBQ’s as well as paella on occasion. (Don’t forget the chef’s poolside parade, as well). Although wine is emphasized here, drinks of all kinds can be ordered at any of the six bars.
Type of Resort: Adults-only
Pro: Heated pools, free WiFi with the Secrets app, beautiful public spaces, wine tastings with a sommelier
Con: In-room and balcony privacy, north-facing room balconies on lower floors can be noisy due to the A/C system next door, wine sales at dinner can be aggressive
Best Suited For: Couples, wine lovers
No. of Rooms: 497
Room Amenities: King or two double beds, A/C, balcony/terrace, in-room safe, mini-bar, flat screen TV, coffee maker, alarm clock with iPod dock, telephone, robe and slippers, iron/ironing board, hair dryer, shower, toiletries, and 24-hr. room service. WiFi as well as calls to the US, Canada, and local calls are complimentary with the Secrets app. Here is a brief rundown of non-Preferred Club guest rooms:
- Deluxe Ocean View: King or two dbl beds
- Jr. Suite Ocean View: King bed, lounge chair, loveseat, table and two armchairs, dbl sinks
- Honeymoon Suite Ocean View: King bed, in-room soaker tub, sofa, lounger, hidden motorized-access TV (TV rises from a cabinet), dbl sinks, dbl rainforest showerheads, balcony with table and two chairs, small sofa, and armchair
- Honeymoon Suite Oceanfront: King bed, in-room soaker tub, sofa, lounger, hidden motorized-access TV (TV rises from a cabinet), dbl sinks, dbl rainforest showerheads, wrap-around balcony with table and two chairs, small sofa, and armchair
- Master Suite Ocean View: King bed, two separate sitting room areas divided by a wall–one sitting room has a sofa bed, ottomans, armchair, multiple closets, wet bar, Nespresso coffee maker, and a second full bathroom, while the second sitting room has a sofa, two chairs, coffee table, balcony access, and flat screen TV which can swing around to face the other sitting room area. The bedroom has a circular chair, hidden motorized-access TV (TV rises from a cabinet), white glass shower with rainforest showerhead, separate soaker tub, and access to the massive wrap-around balcony with its set of tables, chairs, and small sofas.
- Master Suite Oceanfront: King bed, two separate sitting room areas divided by a wall–one sitting room has a sofa bed, ottomans, armchair, multiple closets, wet bar, Nespresso coffee maker, and a second full bathroom, while the second sitting room has a sofa, two chairs, coffee table, large dining table with three chairs and a lengthy bench, balcony access, and flat screen TV which can swing around to face the other sitting room. The bedroom has a circular chair, hidden motorized-access flat screen TV (TV rises from a cabinet), white glass shower with rainforest showerhead, separate soaker tub, and access to the massive wrap-around balcony with its sets of tables, chairs, and small sofas.
Secrets the Vine Cancun also offers an upgraded service called the Preferred Club. Amenities include the following:
- butler services (includes the following: pack/unpack, orientation to room and property, pre-dinner shoe shine, mini-bar personalization, assist with laundry service, coordinate daily room cleaning and turndown service, print boarding passes)
- exclusive concierge
- rooms are above the 20th floor
- access to a private pool, bar, and restaurant (Olio)
- access to a separate lounge area on the 21st floor complete with top-shelf liquor, continental breakfast, hors d’oeuvres and desserts, complimentary computer use
- complimentary in-room WiFi
- upgraded mini-bar with small bottles of liquor and extra snacks
- upgraded toiletries
- pillow menu
- daily newspaper
Preferred Club room categories include the following:
All room categories listed above are available with this upgrade. In addition, the following suites are only available with the Preferred Club upgrade:
- Governor Suite: Two bedrooms (one with king bed, the other with two queen beds), connecting living room with sofa bed, armchair, ottoman, desk and chair, flat screen TV, dining room area with lengthy table, three chairs, and a bench, Nespresso coffee maker, balcony with sofas and armchairs
- Presidential Suite: Two bedrooms (one with king bed, the other with two queen beds), connecting living room with large sofa bed, coffee table, flat screen TV, dining room area with lengthy table, three chairs, and a bench, wet bar, Nespresso coffee maker, two full bathrooms, expansive balcony with full loungers, sofas, armchairs, and tables
- NOTE: Floor numbering is unusual–the 10th floor is actually one floor up from lobby level.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Available
Resort Amenities: Four heated pools (two beachfront, lap pool, and private pool for Preferred Club guests), beachfront Jacuzzi, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, giant chess, games room, sports bar, pool and beach wait service, hammock section, on-site wine cellar, sommelier-led wine tastings, complimentary greens fees at Playa Mujeres Golf Course, concierge, tour desk, gift shop, car rental, and ATM.
Restaurants/Bars: This resort offers one buffet (Market Café), four general a la cartes including Asian (Dragons–no teppanyaki show tables), Italian (Nebbiolo), seafood (Sea Salt Grill), grilled specialties (Bluewater Grill), and the exclusive a la carte for Preferred Club guests (Olio). There is also a poolside grill, poolside BBQ’s, and a café and coffee bar. No reservations are required for the a la cartes. At 1 p.m., chefs also bring out trays of appetizers for guests at the main pool area. There are six bars including the sports bar, lobby bar, beach bar, lounge bar, poolside bar, and piano bar. There is no swim-up bar.
Entertainment: Live music at the piano bar, piano bar becomes a disco late at night, nightly live performances (there is no theater), synchronized swimmers on occasion, staff will escort guests to clubs for VIP seating and bottle service.