NOTE: This resort was closed for renovations from August 2016 to June 2017. Originally, the resort was due to reopen December 2016, but the failure of Melia to file some necessary papers given aspects of their renovation had forced the reopening date to be moved forward considerably. While the resort is now officially open again as of June 10, 2017, it is classified as a “soft opening” with limited rooms and facilities available. Vacationers might want to reconsider their booking dates–August, September or later may be a safer bet in order to be able to use all the facilities and not be bothered by continuing construction.
With original, contemporary artwork and a South Miami Beach vibe, ME Cancun by Meliã is a chic and trendy all-inclusive resort which appeals to adults from 18 to 35 years of age who enjoy techno/house music. While the resort does allow children, there are no child or teen-friendly amenities, nor is the overall ambiance of the resort geared towards children or children’s entertainment. Instead, ME Cancun advertises itself as a “social hub for the local jet-setter” and, as a result, has made its public spaces plush and welcoming for groups of adults to mingle and socialize. ME Cancun is serious about its claim to be a social hub since its Beach Club is also accessible to the general public for a fee. The resort’s fame originated in 2009 when MTV hosted its first international location for its reality show, “The Real World”, in ME Cancun’s premier suite (the ME Suite) which continues to attract celebrities from all over the globe.
ME Cancun is filled with beautiful custom art and furnishings by artists such as Marie France Porta and Yuri Zatarain which adds to its chic, urban vibe. Upon entering the lobby there is a reflecting pool, statues, sculptures, marvelous amber-lit pillars, and multiple seating areas, while guest rooms contain custom-made wood and stone furniture pieces, paintings, and small sculptures. This is not only a vacation destination, but a place which engages the senses.
There are two all-inclusive experiences at ME Cancun–the Complete ME and the ME+ Experience. While both all-inclusive tiers include admission to weekend events at the Rose Bar and The Beach Club, table reservations/bottle service is an extra charge even for upgraded guests; Bali bed reservations at The Beach Club are also subject to availability as well. The following amenities are included in the ME+ Experience (sometimes referred to as The Level):
- suites for adults-only
- private concierge, or ME+ host
- private check-in/out
- access to a private lounge on the 10th floor with snacks and drinks
- priority reservations in the spa and restaurants
- access to top-shelf liquor
- complimentary Chef’s specialties at each restaurant
- priority reservations at Rose Bar and The Beach Club
- upgraded mini-bar, including complimentary Milagro tequila
- wine and tequila sampling
- complimentary use of the sauna, steam bath, and water ritual at the spa
- use of Bali bed or daybed
- romantic beach dinner
- private in-room move night
- on request services include Wii console and iPod with pre-selected music
For a resort in the heart of the Hotel Zone, it may be surprising to some that ME Cancun has three pools–one which is family-friendly, and two which are adults-only. The family-friendly pool includes built-in tiled loungers, small in-pool tables and seating area, a swim-up bar, and a section in the middle of the pool which offers cervical jets. The adults-only section includes a large infinity pool and adjacent pool area which also includes another swim-up bar, built-in tiled loungers, and a DJ booth which gets utilized during the weekends. While Bali beds around the adults-only pool are USD $40 during the week, the same beds are priced at USD $70+ due to a bottle service pricing policy–weekends at the adults-only pool are busy with DJ’s and house music, while Mondays through Thursdays are relatively quiet. Bali beds at other pool areas are an extra cost as well, while draped cabanas are typically first-come first-served (poolside at the family-friendly pool, not on the beach).
Guests looking for free beach loungers will do well in finding one on the north side of the beach (turn left when entering the beach area). The Beach Club is located near the resort’s adults-only pools with numerous draped cabanas which are an extra cost; a DJ booth and entertainment area are also present with soft white sand to dance upon once the party gets started. There are additional resort areas which play DJ/live music, such as the Rose Bar, but this too can be an additional expense if guests wish to be seated (additional USD $120+ for bottle service). ME Cancun is a beautiful resort with plenty of appeal to younger clientele, but vacationers do need to be aware of services and amenities which will cost extra, particularly on the weekends when parties are in full swing.
Speaking of extra costs, guests also need to be aware of what is included and what is not included in one’s guest room. While most room amenities are included in both the Complete ME and the ME+ Experience, there are some items which are an extra fee–these items are located both outside and inside the mini-bar. As guests will notice, items either have a small green or yellow circle on them which indicates whether or not they are complimentary. Remembering the following phrase may help in deciding whether to use an item or not: “Green is OK, yellow you will pay”. Basic mini-bar items are generally free, while other items both in and out of the mini-bar are an extra charge such as large water bottles, boxes of cigarettes, energy drinks, most hard liquor, and various adult-theme sundries such as sex toys or chocolate body paint.
There are nine room categories which have lagoon or ocean views; non-suites do not have balconies, while select Loft and Personality Suites have a balcony Jacuzzi which can be requested as an upgrade upon check-in.
The ME Suite is an extravagant accommodation with five bedrooms, a large aquarium, a Jacuzzi tub which seats ten, a private pool table, a full kitchen, laundry room, and three balconies with ocean views. (At the end of this write-up will be two videos, one of which is a rather hurried look at the ME Suite for those who missed “The Real World: Cancun”).
Type of Resort: Surprisingly it is family-friendly
Pro: Beach, weekend pool/beach parties, free WiFi
Con: No balconies in non-suite rooms, no pool/beach activities during the week, $5 room service delivery charge even for upgraded guests
Best Suited For: Adults ages 18-35 who enjoy techno/house music. This resort (pre-renovations) offers no dedicated children’s/teen spaces or amenities. Me Cancun is also a popular resort for Bachelor/Bachelorette parties.
No. of Rooms: 354 guest rooms and 80 suites
Room Amenities: King or two dbl beds, A/C, table and two chairs, mini-bar, digital safe, flat screen TV, CD/DVD player, alarm clock radio, iPod docking station, coffee maker, telephone, robe and slippers, iron/ironing board, hair dryer, shower, toiletries, 24-hr. room service, and complimentary WiFi. Here is a brief rundown of guest room categories:
- Aura Room: King or two dbl beds. Lagoon view.
- Vibe Room Ocean View: King or two dbl beds. Ocean view.
- Mode Room Oceanfront: King or two dbl beds. Upper floors with ocean view.
- Style Suite: King bed, small sofa, aromatherapy menu, ME+ Experience amenities. Adults-only, lagoon view.
- Style Suite Ocean View: King bed, small sofa, aromatherapy menu, ME+ Experience amenities. Adults-only, ocean view.
- Loft Suite: King bed, Jacuzzi tub, balcony with daybed, aromatherapy menu, ME+ Experience amenities. Some Loft Suites have a balcony Jacuzzi (ask to upgrade at check-in). Adults-only, ocean view.
- Passion Suite: King bed, small sofa, Jacuzzi tub, balcony with daybed and loungers, aromatherapy menu, ME+ Experience amenities. Adults-only, ocean view.
- Personality Suite: Two bedrooms (king bed and two dbl beds), two full bathrooms, dining table with six chairs, small sofa, balcony with daybed and loungers, aromatherapy menu, ME+ Experience amenities. Some Personality Suites have a balcony Jacuzzi (ask to upgrade at check-in). Adults-only, ocean view.
- ME Suite: This suite is spread over two levels with five bedrooms and 9,757 sq. feet of living space, a full kitchen, dining table and eight chairs, living room/office space with massage chair, Jacuzzi tub on the suite’s ground floor which seats 10, pool table, fully stocked bar, washing machine and dryer, three private balconies, eight flat screen TV’s, balcony hammock and loungers, and cylindrical tropical aquarium. Guests receive private check-in within the suite, a personal chef upon request (at an additional fee), roundtrip airport/hotel transfers, and champagne greeting.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Not available
Resort Amenities: There are three pools at ME Cancun (family-friendly with swim-up bar, the adults-only pools at the south end of the property including the infinity pool and the rectangular pool with a swim-up bar and DJ booth); however, there is no public Jacuzzi. ME Cancun also offers a spa, beauty salon, fitness center, The Beach Club and the Rose Bar with DJ booths, Bali beds, pool and beach wait service, pool table, complimentary use of computers and printers, hookahs, concierge, tour desk, gift shop, car rental (some sports and luxury models available), motorbike rental, laptop and iPod rentals, laundry service, medical services, ear plugs are provided in the rooms, and an ATM. Private child care is provided for an additional fee. This all-inclusive resort has no activities team which hosts beach and poolside games during the day.
Restaurants/Bars: While there is no dedicated buffet restaurant, breakfast is served at the Salt a la carte restaurant (buffet style), while ME+ Experience guests can also get a continental breakfast in the private lounge on the 10th floor. Lunch is served at The Water Grill and The Beach House, while poolside guests may also order lunch from a separate menu. There are four a la carte restaurants open for dinner (three of which require reservations), and they include Mediterranean fare (Salt), Asian fusion (Silk–teppanyaki show tables), South American (The Water Grill), and Mexican fusion (The Beach House, no reservations required). Snacks, sandwiches, pastries, and coffee are available at E-Space which also offers a couple of computers to use. There are five bar areas including Rose Bar and Rose Bar Terrace with DJ’s and live entertainment on the weekends, two swim-up bars, and The Beach Club bar which also offers DJ’s and live entertainment on the weekends.
Entertainment: Primary opportunities for entertainment at this resort are the DJ’s and live performances which typically occur on weekends at The Beach Club and Rose Bar. This resort tends to be quiet during the week–expect to take the local bus or cab to Plaza Forum to visit the nightclubs there.