Formerly known as the Hilton Cancun Golf and Spa Resort, the Iberostar Cancun opened December 2011 as an all-inclusive resort. Renovations made to the property included additional restaurants, a wedding gazebo, children’s water park, teen club addition, outdoor theater, and a remodel of the lobby and bar areas. This sprawling resort is host to multiple Mayan-inspired towers, beachfront villas with new plunge pools, multiple infinity pools, a soccer field, a championship 18-hole golf course, and one of the widest stretches of beach in Cancun’s Hotel Zone.
The star of this all-inclusive is undoubtedly the white sand beach. Its lengthy expanse has more than enough room for loungers, shade palapas, slatted shade structures, and Bali beds; don’t expect natural shade since most of the Caribbean Sea stretch of beach doesn’t offer coconut groves or palm trees. Ocean entry is smooth for the most part; guests interested in long walks on the beach won’t be disappointed since that is possible in both directions.
A few steps up from the gorgeous beach is the impressive pool complex. Multiple individual pools, both large and small, make up this area including the lengthy beachfront infinity pool with swim-up bar, the adjacent activities pool, and the children’s water park on the south side. Pools are staggered in elevation, so everyone on all sundeck levels has an excellent opportunity to get an ocean view. Loungers, umbrellas, shade palapas, and several Bali beds adorn the sundecks; there is also a separate pool over by the garden villas for guests in that particular room category.
For those who want to engage in more physically challenging activities during their stay, an 18-hole, Par-72 championship golf course is situated two minutes from the main lobby. Free roundtrip transportation, apparel, equipment, golf swing analysis, and personalized instruction are available. On-course refreshment carts provide free snacks and beverages along with the 19th Hole Restaurant and Bar. This course is open to the public, but resort guests receive special rates.
When finished with activities by the pool, on the sand, or on the greens, guests will appreciate the choice of accommodations and the ocean views from many of the rooms. There are no less than eight guest room choices ranging from Standard Ocean View rooms with floor-to-ceiling glass panes instead of balconies, to Oceanfront Villas with their new infinity plunge pools (each group of four beachfront villas shares one infinity pool). Not all rooms have balconies at this resort, so make sure to request this amenity when booking if having a balcony is important while on vacation.
Although it lacks more recent posts, there is an unofficial website devoted to Iberostar resorts which may be helpful in answering questions about this resort at www.ib-board.com/boards/index.php#30.
Type of Resort: Family-friendly
Pro: New beachfront infinity plunge pools, on-site golf course and soccer field, wide beach, free WiFi
Con: Not all rooms have a balcony, dinner reservations needed
Best Suited For: Families with children ages 4-17, golfers, soccer players
No. of Rooms: 426
Room Amenities: King and sofa bed or two queen beds, A/C, armchair, desk and chair, ceiling fan, flat screen TV, mini-bar, in-room safe, CD player, telephone, radio alarm clock, coffee maker, iron/ironing board, robe and slippers, hair dryer, shower and separate tub, toiletries, 24-hr. room service, and free WiFi. Here is a brief rundown of guest room categories:
- Standard Room: King and sofa bed or two queen beds, no balcony. Resort or lagoon view.
- Standard Ocean View: King and sofa bed or two queen beds, some rooms have a Juliet balcony but not a full-size balcony. Ocean view.
- Standard Ocean View Superior: King and sofa bed or two queen beds, balcony. Ocean view.
- Ocean View Priority Location (as seen on some travel websites): King and sofa bed or two queen beds, balcony. This room category has both a pool and ocean view.
- Jr. Suite: King bed or two queen beds in separate bedroom area along with entertainment center with flat screen TV, DVD player, table and two chairs, armchair, living room area with sofa, armchair, table and four chairs, flat screen TV, bathroom with dbl sinks, tub/shower combo with body wand, separate shower with rainforest showerhead, balcony with two full loungers, table and two chairs, and Jacuzzi. Lagoon or ocean view.
- Master Suite: King bed in separate bedroom area along with armchair, table and chair, entertainment center with flat screen TV and DVD player, living room with sofa bed, armchair, coffee table, dining table and four chairs, flat screen TV, bathroom with dbl sinks, tub/shower combo with body wand, separate shower with rainforest showerhead, half bathroom, balcony with two full loungers, table and two chairs, Jacuzzi. Ocean view.
- Garden View Villas: Located in the separate villa section, this room category offers a king and sofa bed or two queen beds, entertainment center with flat screen TV, DVD player, desk and chair, armchair, bathroom with dbl sinks, tub/shower combo, separate shower, and private balcony with table and two chairs. Access to private pool; garden view. NOTE: Some websites may advertise this category as a Jr. Suite Garden View.
- Oceanfront Villa: Located in the separate villa section, this room category offers a king and sofa bed or two queen beds, entertainment center with flat screen TV, DVD player, desk and chair, armchair, bathroom with dbl sinks, tub/shower combo, separate shower, and private balcony with table and two chairs. Access to private pool; oceanfront. Ground floor rooms have access to an infinity plunge pool shared by three other rooms along with two full loungers on the terrace, while second floor rooms have a balcony Jacuzzi.
- Presidential Suite: Two bedrooms (king bed in one and two queen beds in the other), walk-in closet, living room with sofa, armchairs, entertainment center with flat screen TV, full kitchen, dining table and chairs, two full bathrooms, sauna, large balcony with full loungers, table and chairs, and Jacuzzi. Oceanfront.
- NOTE: Be careful when booking accommodations on the internet because room titles and descriptions vary quite a bit from site to site.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Available
Resort Amenities: Pool complex consisting of beachfront infinity pool (swim-up bar), activities pool, and several additional individual pools including the children’s water park area; there is also a separate pool over by the villa section. There are two Jacuzzis, a spa, beauty salon, fitness center, soccer field, basketball court, tennis courts, jogging trail, target shooting, 18-hole golf course, outdoor theater, sports bar, Kid’s Club (ages 4-12), teen area/games room (ages 13-17), pool and beach wait service, hammocks, Bali beds, beach massage area, business center, convention center, concierge, tour desk, gift shop, car rental, ATM.
Restaurants/Bars: Two buffets (Antiguo Laguito and El Maguey), and four a la cartes including Japanese (Naga Hibachi–teppanyaki show tables), Mexican (Maguey), gourmet/international (La Horma), and steakhouse (La Parrilla). A la carte dining reservations are often difficult to come by and best made upon arrival. A poolside snack bar is also available until 6 p.m. Six bars include the popular lobby bar, pool bar, beach bar, swim-up bar, sports bar, and cigar bar.
Entertainment: An outdoor theater hosts two nightly shows ( 8 p.m. for children, 9:30 p.m. for adults), live music at the lobby bar, and karaoke in the upstairs sports bar, For an additional fee, the resort offers VIP party packages where guests are escorted by staff to some of the most popular clubs in Cancun for a night of VIP treatment (short entrance lines, bottle service, seating, etc.).