This all-suites, adults-only all-inclusive resort is located within a private gated community containing several other resorts, a marina, and a Greg Norman golf course all adjacent to the Caribbean Sea. Excellence Playa Mujeres is a 50 min. taxi/shuttle ride north of the airport; it is out of the Hotel Zone and just north of downtown Cancun which makes it more challenging to arrange excursions or take local transportation to see the sites for which Cancun is known. Given what’s available at the resort, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
Since the Excellence resort brand has a reputation of providing luxury amenities and first class service, it is not surprising that this resort offers no less than seven pools (four are heated in winter), nine Jacuzzis, a world class spa, complimentary use of non-motorized water sports including hobie cats, bicycle tours, and beach butlers delivering snacks and drinks throughout the day.
The property itself is beautifully landscaped and meticulously maintained with sculptures, coconut palm trees, grassy lawn areas, and variegated flora and vegetation throughout. As is typical for Excellence resorts, pool and building placement within the resort lends a cohesive flow to “traffic”–guests are not far from amenities yet at the same time feel like they have some private space to call their own, even when the resort is at full capacity.
The beach here is a winner as well with its long, wide stretch of white sand and aquamarine water. It is swimmable all along the resort’s stretch of beach, and sea grass only becomes occasionally irksome at which time it is cleaned up twice a day. There are plenty of palapa-covered loungers and padded day beds on the beach; new Bali beds have recently been added here as well. There is also a private beach area for Excellence Club guests along with its own staff of beach butlers and a beach concierge.
Guests will also love the spacious suites with large, L-shaped sectional sofas with generous pillows, in-room garden Jacuzzi tubs with indoor/outdoor access, huge showers with tiled benches, rainforest showerheads and hand-held nozzles, and special room service area for used dishes and trays. Beds are placed to maximize views out balcony doors, while dual sun discs take the place of headboards with double vessel sinks behind–there is also a small window between the shower and bedroom area so that guests have every opportunity to enjoy the view outdoors. Because of its layout, bathroom light and noise are easily experienced by anyone in the bedroom which may be seen as a lack of privacy–if you need total seclusion when using the bathroom, maybe this is not the right resort for you.
An extra special feature of this resort is the rooftop HydroSpa pool in the Two Story Rooftop Terrace Suites. Amenities in this rooftop area also includes a daybed, table, and two chairs.
Although Excellence Playa Mujeres does tend to attract honeymooners and the over 50 crowd, there are enough amenities and adult guests of all ages for everyone to have the time of their life–in style.
The Excellence parent company just completed and opened its newest “family” member, the family-friendly Finest Playa Mujeres which is located next to Excellence Playa Mujeres. Despite being sister resorts, there are no exchange privileges between these two. If you like the Excellence brand and want to bring your family, you will just have to book the Finest Playa Mujeres.
Type of Resort: Adults-only
Pro: Heated pools, spa, no restaurant reservations or wristband, complimentary WiFi.
Con: Isolated from Cancun and Riviera Maya amenities, lack of bathroom privacy.
Best Suited For: Honeymooners, couples celebrating special occasions, affluent couples.
No. of Rooms: 450 suites
Room Amenities: King or two dbl beds, A/C, balcony/terrace with daybed, garden Jacuzzi tub with indoor/outdoor access, flat screen TV, mini-bar, in-room safe, in-room liquor and wine, sofa sectional, room service box, CD/DVD player, telephone, radio/alarm clock with iPod dock, ceiling fan, coffee maker, robe and slippers, iron/ironing board, pillow menu, marble bathroom, hair dryer, separate toilet and shower areas, dbl sinks, toiletries, complimentary WiFi, and 24-hr. room service. Here is a brief rundown of guest room categories:
- Jr. Suite: King or two dbl beds with spa or pool view.
- Jr. Swim-Up Suite: King bed, two terrace loungers, terrace daybed, with spa or pool view. Although this is a swim-up suite, there is no direct access to a pool via water; however, pool entry is only six to ten feet away from the terrace.
- Two-Story Rooftop Terrace Suite: King bed, balcony with daybed/chairs and table, and same amenities as the Jr. Suite: The upstairs deck area has a HydroSpa pool, daybed, table and two chairs.
(Excellence Club Amenities)
- check-in/check-out in the Excellence Club Lounge
- early check-in/late check-out depending on availability
- guest rooms are generally located closer to the ocean
- private pools, Jacuzzis, and beach area
- private concierge service (hotel and beach area)
- use of the Excellence Club Lounge with computer and printer access, buffet service including continental breakfast/snacks/desserts, premium liquors
- upgraded room service menu
- upgraded toiletries (Bvlgari)
- upgraded in-room premium liquor and wine bottle selection
- Nespresso coffee machine
- sparkling wine upon arrival
- fresh flowers upon arrival
- daily room delivery of fresh fruit
- daily newspaper
- shoeshine service
- beach bag use during stay
- Aqua Wellness Spa Treatment, one per person per stay
Here is a brief list of the Excellence Club suite categories:
- Jr. Suite Oceanfront: King bed, Excellence Club amenities.
- Jr. Swim-Up Suite Ocean View: King bed, two terrace loungers, terrace daybed, Excellence Club amenities. Although this is a swim-up suite, there is no direct pool access via the water; however, pool access is available six to ten feet from the terrace.
- Two-Story Rooftop Terrace Suite Oceanfront: King bed, balcony with daybed, chairs and table, and same amenities as the Jr. Suite Oceanfront. The upstairs deck area has a HydroSpa pool, daybed, table and two chairs, all with an ocean view.
- Honeymoon Suite Oceanfront: King bed, separate living room area with two leather sofas and armchair, coffee table, desk and chair, fully stocked bar, two flat screen TV’s, dining room table with six chairs, kitchen area with fully stocked regular size refrigerator, microwave, stovetop, small sink, glassware, additional seating area with several chairs and table which leads to the garden Jacuzzi tub, large terrace with four loungers and daybed, walk-in closet, half bathroom, Excellence amenities, all with oceanfront location.
- Imperial Suite Oceanfront: This two-story suite is a combination of the Two-Story Rooftop Terrace Suite Oceanfront and the Honeymoon Suite Oceanfront. The downstairs has all the amenities of the Honeymoon Suite along with private access for room service, while the rooftop deck has the HydroSpa pool, two daybeds, shower, table and two chairs, plus Excellence Club amenities along with an oceanfront view.
- NOTE: Guest room buildings are set back from the ocean which means that some oceanfront suites are actually ocean view suites. Higher-end suites are typically located closest to the beach.
Physically Challenged Rooms: Available
Resort Amenities: Seven pools (two for Excellence Club guests, four which are heated, and one with a swim-up bar), nine Jacuzzis (two for Excellence Club guests which are heated), non-motorized water sports, spa, fitness center, tennis courts/lessons, shooting range (archery/air rifle), bicycles and bicycle tour, game room, fitness trail, library, theater, nightclub, concierge, pool and beach butlers, shopping promenade, business center/internet room, tour desk, car rental, and ATM.
Restaurants/Bars: This resort offers nine restaurants and one beach grill/pizzeria (Las Olas). A la carte options include Italian (Toscana), Mexican (Agave), Asian/teppanyaki (Spice), French (Chez Isabelle), Indian (Basmati), Spanish/Mediterranean (Barcelona), seafood (The Lobster House), steakhouse (The Grill), and The Flavor Market–pairing gourmet tasting menus with wines. There is also a coffee bar on the main square (CafeKafe) which serves ice cream, pastries, and all kinds of coffee drinks. Several outdoor themed buffets are held every week, paella is served by the pool several times per week, and afternoon snacks at the Martini Bar round out food options. Restaurant reservations are not needed. Eleven bars are located throughout the resort including the lobby bar, swim-up bar, theater bar, nightclub/disco bar, Excellence Club Lounge bar, game room bar, two pool bars (one is for Excellence Club guests only), beach bar, cigar bar, and a smoothie bar by the spa.
Entertainment: Nightly stage shows, live bands several times per week karaoke, and a disco.